Shared living

Shared living 

Many students choose to live in a shared flat. Shared living is a great option to renting a studio, since it is often a lot more affordable and you might get new friends in the process. 

There are different sorts of contracts for shared living situations. These contracts carry different legal meanings, considering for example the responsibilities of the tenants. It can also have an impact on the housing allowance granted by Kela. For these reasons it is important to take a moment to learn the differences between contract solutions.


Common contract Separate contracts Subtenancy
Responsibility of the
rental payments 
Common responsibility Everyone is responsible 
for only their own share 
The principal tenant 
is responsible to 
the landlord and 
the subtenant(s)
to the principal tenant.
Responsibility of 
upkeep of the apartment 
Common responsibility Everyone’s responsible 
for their own area, 
common responsibility 
of the common area(s) 
Principal tenant is 
responsible of the 
whole apartment, 
subtenants for 
their own and 
common areas 
The security deposit Common deposit Separate deposits Principal tenant 
pays to the landlord, 
subtenant to the 
principal tenant 
(or depending on the contract) 
Denouncing the 
Entirely, needs each 
tenant’s agreement.
For only one tenant 
only if it is alright for 
the other tenants 
and the landlord. 
Each one individually, no agreement from 
other tenants needed 
When the principal 
tenant’s contract 
ends, so does the 
Transferring the 
rental right 
Only with the 
agreement of 
the other tenants 
and the landlord 
With the landlord’s 
Principal tenant 
with the agreement 
of the landlord, 
subtenant with 
the agreement 
of the principal 


It's always wise to have home insurance

No matter the selected type of contract, the tenant should always get a home insurance in case of different accidents, even if the rental contract doesn’t demand having an insurance. In a shared living situation each tenant has to have their own insurances, since the insurances only cover damages to the policy holder’s property.